Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Confession

I have a confession to make...
As a person who likes gadgets, the latest and greatest gizmo, and high tech things,
I DO NOT OWN A CELL PHONE!

There, it's out. I feel much better now. Some of you might ask why I don't own one. Well, the answer is simple. I haven't found a real need to have one. I did own one for a couple of years. I never really used it and hardly ever made a dent in the 30 free minutes I had every month, so I cancelled my contract after the two year required period was over.

My wife has one because of her job. As a nursing coordinator, she's often away from her office and is paged constantly. We carry it when we go out. Well, she carries it, actually. But personally I got tired of paying the monthly charge for the one I had.

I'll admit all the high tech features of the newer ones almost make me start to hyperventilate, but when I calm down I realize I have gadgets that will do all the things that the new cell phones will. I have a very, very good digital camera and an IPOD for music which will also play games and can display your photos one at a time or in a slideshow. Granted, some cell phones can do both things in addition to being a phone in just one package, but I don't think they take pictures and play music as well a real camera and a real MP3 player.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets irritated with people who have the phone in their ear while driving, walking down the street, or in a public place such as a restaurant or mall. Are the conversations so important that they can't wait until they are in a more appropriate place? Most of the younger folks at work (20 or 3o somethings) have to use it almost constantly. They are on personal calls I'm sure.

How about the rest of you? Do you have a cell phone for a definite reason or just to have one?

See you next time.

No comments: