Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Firefox - An excellent alternative to Microsoft IE


Firefox 1.5 internet browser by Mozilla is an excellent internet browser and it beats Microsoft IE when it comes to ease of use AND security. I downloaded Firefox and installed it on my laptop and one of my desktops at home on the recommendation of a friend. I've known about it for 3 or 4 years, but, believing in the MS hype, never had the nerve to give it a try. As I mentioned, Firefox installs easily. The basic setup looks a lot like Windows, but there are extensions you can download from the Mozilla site and add to Firefox to change the skin (appearance) or add other features.

The 2 features of the basic setup that make Firefox most appealing are the Tabs and Security. The Tabs feature allows the user to open multiple browser screens in a single window. A Tab bar appears across the top of the window with a named tab for each browser screen. The Security feature is fantastic. Number 1, there is no ActiveX which Windows uses to do various things. I've only encountered one site that needed ActiveX in order for me to enter it. There is an ActiveX plugin for Firefox, but I haven't tried it. Firefox also has built-in pop-up blocking, spyware detection, and virus protection.

I would recommend that you try it. Of course, you should create a backup of you data and create a restart point in case you encounter problems.

See you next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

best spyware - This seems to be a very popular blogsite - keep up the good work.I had a nice read